Everyday Mom's Meals: We Love Fungi
_____

Thursday, October 13, 2011

We Love Fungi

That's right I said it. We are huge mushroom lovers. All 3 of us. I know others out there do not share our adoration for these treasures from the dirt! I have loved them from a very young age. In fact, when I was little, I decided the ones growing by the tree in my uncle's front yard even looked yummy! Uh oh!!!! Yep, I was the kid that tried to eat toadstools. Thankfully my mom caught me in time and no trip to the ER was necessary. But I've passed this love of button, portabella, cremini, oyster, and morel onto my son. The first time I made this recipe I was simply experimenting w/ pasta sauces trying to come up w/ a red one the men in this house would enjoy as much as me. It was a hit from the start! I will warn you, this is NOT a "saucy" pasta dish. This sauce is so creamy and thick, it soaks into the pasta and coats every inch. The pasta will not be laying in or dripping w/ sauce, but every bite will be luscious and delicious! If you are a fungus lover like my family, I guarantee this will be a favorite in your house too!

Shells w/ Mushroom Cream Sauce

1 lb. small shell pasta
1 lb. button mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Salt/Pepper to taste
2 c. heavy cream
2 TBS olive oil
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese

Bring a large pot of water to boil for the pasta. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Add mushrooms and garlic and cook until brown, about 6-7 minutes. Season w/ salt and pepper. DO NOT add salt before mushrooms are cooked, or they won't brown. Add cream and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until thick, about 15 minutes. Add cheese and let thicken a tad more. Drain pasta and combine w/ sauce. Garnish w/ extra Parmesan if desired.


Shared on Around My Family Table Oct. 13, 2011
Shared on It's A Keeper Oct. 13, 2011
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Oct. 13, 2011
Shared on Six Sisters' Stuff Oct. 15, 2011
Pin It

4 comments:

Erin said...

I love mushrooms! This pasta looks like creamy mushroom heaven!

Jennifer {Mother Thyme} said...

This looks delicious! Perfect weeknight meal to whip up! Yum! :)

CEK said...

Sounds good to me too. I love mushrooms and put them in just about everything.

Miz Helen said...

We love anything mushroom and your dish looks delicious! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week and come back soon!
Miz Helen