Everyday Mom's Meals: Chowder, Take Me Away
_____

Friday, October 21, 2011

Chowder, Take Me Away

Yes, I know it's supposed to be "Calgon", but I'm too much of a foodie not to sneak yummy things in where I can. It was a chilly, rainy day at my house, and I wasn't feeling up to par. My allergies, from the change of seasons, were getting the best of me, and I needed a day off. As I sat in my recliner wishing that was possible, (b/c let's face it, no mommy ever gets an entire day off) watching the downpour outside, I knew it was the perfect night for a new crock pot meal. I had been given this by a friend just the week before, and immediately jotted it down.  Adam and Alex love clam chowder and I'll admit, I usually buy a few cans of whatever is on sale, and call it a meal. So when I knew I could do a homemade version, with a little help from the store, and let the crock pot do the work for me, I was super intrigued. I was saving it for just the right day, and this dreary, I feel like I was hit by a Mack truck, one was perfect. I crawled to the kitchen, put the ingredients in the crock pot, and was all set. Okay, so I wasn't bad enough I had to actually crawl, but there were points I thought about it. This also happened to be a Taekwondo night for the boys, so it was even nicer to have supper done and waiting after the madness of school pick up and homework. Both of my men gave it a thumbs up and said it tasted even better than the canned version, and I had to agree. So thick, so creamy, so warm.....it was just the pick me up this Mommy needed!

Crock Pot Clam Chowder
2 cans cream of celery soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 6.5 oz cans chopped clams, undrained
2 1/2 c. frozen shredded hashbrowns
2 c. half and half
Salt and Pepper to taste
Dried Parsley, for garnish
Oyster Crackers, if desired

Put all except parsley and crackers in crock pot. Stir well to combine. Cook on low for 6 hours until thick. Adjust seasoning. Garnish w/ parsley and serve w/ crackers, if desired.



Shared on The Country Cook Oct. 21, 2011
Shared on Six Sisters' Stuff Oct. 22, 2011
Shared on Make Ahead Meals Oct. 24, 2011
Shared on Gooseberry Patch Nov. 9, 2011


Soup at Very Good Recipes

3 comments:

Jennifer {Mother Thyme} said...

This looks yummy! Perfect for a cozy fall weekend!

Unknown said...

I love clam chowder, I'm totally trying this! Thanks for the idea!

-Kelly, Semi Homemade Mom

Daki and Valerie said...

Thank you for the easiest clam chowder recipe ever. Absolutely delicious!!!