Everyday Mom's Meals: Nobody Makes Them Like Mom
_____

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Nobody Makes Them Like Mom

There are a few dishes that I will never be able to make as good as my mom does. No matter how many times I try, or how many times I watch her make the exact same recipe, they never taste as good when I'm done. I don't know if it's because she has been making them longer, or simply b/c she throws in a couple extra dashes of love while doing it. Either way, even though I may try, and we will eat them, those few dishes will always be better when cooked by mom! This is one of those--one she has been cooking for years, and each time is better than the next.

Mom's Scalloped Potatoes

4 large baking potatoes (this is how many I use for the 3 of us)- peeled and sliced 
1 small white onion- diced
Flour
Salt/Pepper
Milk

In the bottom of a greased baking dish make a layer of potatoes. Add some diced onion. Sprinkle w/ flour (about 1 TBS). Repeat layers until top is a layer of potatoes, and salt and pepper only. DO NOT ADD FLOUR TO TOP LAYER.  Add enough milk until you can see it (usually about 1/2 inch from top). Bake in a preheated oven @ 350ยบ for 60-90 minutes or until thickened and potatoes are tender.


Pin It

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Try putting velveeta with each layer.Yum... Au Gratin Potatoes
My mom made them the same way except with the cheese.