Everyday Mom's Meals: I Found It!
_____

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I Found It!

I used to be a regular subscriber of Taste of Home magazine. But when Alex came along my magazines went from cooking and style to parenting, kids and Highlights...lol. But when he was still just a baby, I remember making this recipe from an issue of Taste of Home, and then I could never find it again--that is until now. The magazine now has an archive of recipes on their website and once I typed in artichokes, it came right up; and oh how excited I was. It's a great side dish and something just a little different from potatoes or rice.

Artichokes Au Gratin
2 cans ( 14 oz each) artichokes hearts in water, rinsed, drained and quartered
1 garlic clove minced
1/4 cup butter divided
2 TBS flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups milk
1 egg slightly beaten
1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese, divided
1 TBS dry bread crumbs
1/8 tsp paprika

In a small skillet, saute the artichokes and garlic in 2 TBS butter until tender. Transfer for a greased 1 qt. baking dish. In a small saucepan, melt the remaining butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil;cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg; return all to pan stirring constantly. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese until melted. Pour over artichokes; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Combine crumbs and paprika; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 400ยบ for 20-25 minutes until heated through.

Artichokes on FoodistaArtichokes

No comments: